Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Designing is Work. Really.

I happen to work at something I enjoy. Writing, designing jewelry, developing recipes, taking photographs and so forth. I'm not alone in this. Many people make a living being creative in one way or another. Some like me are just starting out and others have spent a lifetime at it.

Now here is where the problem is. Some people have no qualms about asking for the pattern, recipe, whatever. They expect to be given it with a smile and with no thought of all the effort that went into it. Further some expect you to feel honored to be asked and are offended when you say no. I say get your hand out of my pocket. Maybe it doesn't seem like work to you and yes I enjoy what I do but why should I give it away for free. I want to make my living with this. Not give it away.

Do you ask the local baker for that darling loaf of bread? Or an artist for a free painting because you can't afford the price being asked for it? Of course not. So don't ask me for free patterns, recipes or even the actual item. I have no problem giving away some things for free. I enjoy doing that. Occasionally. When I feel like it. Because it makes me happy to do so. But I won't give anything away because it is expected of me.

Let me give you a quick example. To design the teddy bear I had to spend many hours working out the pattern. The first try was not quite right as the proportions were wrong. What I thought would look okay ended up looking just plain ridiculous when actually knitted. After some adjustments I got it right. There are one or two wee changes I might make but the bear is fine as he is. All this takes time. Coming up with the idea, working out the pattern and then making the item is not a snap of the fingers. It can take a few hours or many days depending on the item.

Then I have to sell the item and/or the pattern. More effort on my part. And I should give it away for free? Nah-uh!  If I was just fooling around to amuse myself that would be different. Well, I am amusing myself but in a serious way as I want to earn a living by this.

I'm not the only one to feel this way. Now I realize some of those who ask for freebies are just thoughtless. After all there are a lot of people giving away their designs, either some or all. That's their choice. But there are those like myself who do it for a living.

Something to think about folks.

By the way, there are literally thousands of free patterns out there. There are videos that show you how to do the basics up to the most complicated techniques. There are step by step written instructions with photos or illustrations for practically anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment