Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dyeing Buttons

Still waiting for spring here. Hope the weather is pleasant where you are. Yesterday I finished sorting out a large jar of old buttons I had recently purchased and there where some white ones that didn't look too good. So I decided to dye them. I had tried it last year with some and got excellent results using turmeric for yellow and henna for brown. The substance the buttons are made from decides how effective the dyeing  will be.
Below you can see the white buttons as they started out.



Here they are after being in turmeric for one hour.



This is what I used to dye them in. I put a tablespoon of turmeric in a cup.



More white buttons waiting to be dyed.


These were left in henna using the same method as for the turmeric.




None of these white buttons really took the dye too well. The ones I did last year came out way better. The ones in the photo below have a more intense color. I used white buttons that were not in very good condition. Some of the ones in the upper left corner had hairline cracks in them and the henna got into them and gave them an interesting effect.

I was surprised to see that the henna turned the buttons brown instead of red like my hair. But I am very pleased with the various shades of brown I got. Also with the yellow. Now these rejuvenated old buttons can have a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment